Thursday, February 17, 2011

We took Noah to a fun place called Pump it Up the other night since he had a good day (they've been few and far between lately) where we tried to get him up on that rock wall. Of course the higher he got, the more scared he got, so I threw him up in the air to show him he was not going to fall since he was attached to a bungee type rope. Tough love... no sissies around here. :) He loved all of the bounce houses and big slides.This big guy could not get any cuter. The poor kiddo caught Noah's cough last week, so he's been a little under the weather, coughing, stuffy nose and all, but is finally on the mend. He's 7.5 weeks now and wearing 3-6 mo clothing! Love him. As for me, I thought I had the flu last weekend. After being sick for two days, and showing no signs of getting any better, I figured it couldn't be the flu. Sunday night I took my temp and it was above 103. Ended up being mastitis...probably the sickest I've ever been! I had the chills so bad Sunday that I was convulsing. Then, ten minutes later I would be sweating. It was the worst. The crazy thing is that the obvious symptoms of mastitis didn't show up until Sunday night, which is why I didn't figure it out sooner. I felt so dumb for not catching it earlier. Now I get to take antibiotics for two weeks....and I will do whatever it takes to never get that again!
Now I'm having a moral dilemma trying to figure out if I want to keep nursing. Davis just falls asleep everytime I nurse, no matter what I do, so I've mainly been pumping then bottle feeding him. The pumping is consuming my entire day it seems like, and I am up so long at night after feeding, changing, then pumping. I've frozen some milk, so I think I may just call it good and use that up. I kind of feel like I'm being selfish, since I'm producing plenty, but I really just want to be done! The constant pumping is getting painful and I'm ready to have small boobies again. (tmi, I know.) My biggest hold up is not wanting to buy formula since it is so darn expensive. That, and I kind of feel like I'm a bad mom for not wanting to nurse anymore. I nursed Noah until he was 10 months, but with Davis I just feel done! Is that bad since he's so young?! What to do, what to do?

6 comments:

Duncahoo said...

That is the worst decision to make ever. You remember how much of a nightmare it was for me?!? My ped doctor always said if you nurse or do formula your baby will be great either way. The most important thing is for your baby to have a happy mom and whatever does that then go with it!
The boys are so darling and I am glad you are all doing well minus the colds and mastitas.

Our Loved-up Family said...

I agree - a happy mom is important. I only nursed for a few months tops with both, and always had to formula feed too. With Bevan I felt guilty, but not with Maija, I gave myself a break, Bevan's got an awesome immune system, and both my kids have thrived. Whatever you decide will be just great.

Karen, Mackay, Easton & Kallie said...

I only nursed easton until he was 2months old...i did kallie for 9. guess who is healthier...the formula fed baby...personally i think it is HOW you feed them when they are older and on solids...you got the good stuff in him which is the most important. and think about yourself...you don't want to be frustrated and irritated. then you just take it out on your kids. if the kid will take the bottle and formula i say go for it!

Kandace Lewis said...

Briauna, I had basically the same dilemma with the girls. They weren't nursing well, but I felt guilty not doing everything I could to get them breast milk, so I was bottle feeding them pumped breast milk. I'd bottle feed each of them every three hours and then pump for 30 minutes. By the time one "feeding" was done and cleaned up I usually had an hour max until the next one started. It was exhausting. I finally threw in the towel at about 8 weeks. My breaking point was when I was placing my babies on a play mat or in a bouncy seat and trying to settle them with just my voice or maybe one hand while I was busy pumping breast milk for their next feeding. I figured this is ridiculous. It's far more important that I be giving my kids the love and attention they need than that I be hooked to a breast pump. I felt so much better when I just let it go.

Laurel said...

For real, he COULD NOT be any cuter. Love him.

As for the mastitis, that sucks. Bad. And I'm sorry for you. If it makes you feel better, Michelle was done right around 2 months, and her little Ben is doing just great. She said she felt guilty, but was super excited to be done with it, too. ;)

Whatever you do, you'll both be great!

(How about that the reason I'M sick of it is because I just want to wear a normal bra and garments again!!!! How's THAT for selfish?!!)

Dede said...

I'm so sorry Bri! Mastitis is the worst!!! I've only had it for less than 24 hrs. before antibiotics but even that was too much. I also really want to be done with nursing but feel SOO selfish! Good luck with your decision. Davis is BEAUTIFUL!!! Love him.